Book Worms Unite!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nanowrimo

2 posters

Go down

Nanowrimo Empty Nanowrimo

Post by Jenster Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 am

As you probably know (or at least Linda does) I was part of a novel writing contest called Nanowrimo. It's basically the challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. This is what I wrote. I'll be fixing it up and getting rid of all the plot holes and MPD characters for a while but I figured I might as well post some of it here =)

At the moment my story is called 'Natalie' but it will probably be changed to "The Liar's Daughter" (although the word 'Liar' may very well be substituted with something else, I still haven't gotten a firm idea yet) I'm posting the craptastic synopsis I had on Nanowrimo.org along with a small excerpt.

SYNOPSIS:
A different world. The sun orbits around the earth and it leeches energy from everything- especially heat energy, to the extent that being outside for just a few seconds during the day is enough to freeze the blood in your viens. Water is less dense than air and drinking even a small amount of it is lethal. All these things are common place, the kind of things even the youngest children know. Until an outsider, an abomination, a horror that must dealt with, comes in and disrupts the balance. Amidst all the confusion this outsider, a mere girl by Earth standards, finds herself stealing identities just to keep alive. But what happens when she herself believes she is someone else?

EXCERPT:
"What's wrong with having a heart? It means you have a weakness. Hearts are meant for love and love disappoints. Love disappoints to a degree of pain more acute than any other in this world, it incapacitates until there is nothing left but the shell of a person. And of course what do these human shells do to rid themselves of this pain? They run looking for love and complete the vicious cycle, sealing their fate. But ice over your heart, still its beats, let your veins run cold and when love ceases to exist, then death will become your sole weakness."
-Shian

Not that great but whatever, I felt like posting something =)
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Nanowrimo Empty Re: Nanowrimo

Post by Linda Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:54 am

O.o do people in your world really talk like that?
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:54 am

That depends if the're an Elder, Outsider, Domer, Labourer, or an Under-Three Razz But yeah, a lot of them talk like freaks.

But that particular character is a little bit... different. She's my monolouge character Razz Don't you ever get those? The characters that just get a lot of screen time simply thinking about things. And she's also my unlucky character. The one who has all the really bad stuff happen to her and doesn't get anything good in return and dies an unjust death (well, I'm rather attatched to her so the death is only an option at the moment).

**And her name is said Cheyenne, but since she lives in a different world and I don't like that spelling I spelt it pretty much how it sounds: Shian.
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:19 pm

O.o
Post the story!!
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:17 am

You realize how LONG it's gonna be?! And it's still in the "MAURE PILE THAT NEEDS MAJOR EDITING" phase so it isn't that good! But I guess I can post some of the beginning, it's pretty pathetic... and kinda long...

“What are you doing?! Get over here, now!” those were the first words Lindsay heard when she opened her eyes.

A small part of her brain registered the words but for the most part she ignored them, trying to figure out what had happened. Two seconds ago she’d been hanging out in a mall with a couple friends and now… Wherever she was it was dark, and empty. In her entire life Lindsay had never felt so alone. And then something seemed to change, there, on the horizon, she saw a small bit of light. She squinted, trying to figure out what it was. And then that voice was back.

“Hurry, get over here now it’ll be here any second-” the voice stopped to utter a harsh oath. Lindsay turned and suddenly out of the shadows something slammed into her, lifting her off her feet and reversing direction, speeding through the receding darkness. And then she felt the cold. It came suddenly and without warning, a dark, bitter cold that sunk straight into her bones and brought with it an unbelievable pain. And just when she thought that there was no way she could endure anymore of it she felt a sudden wave of heat and heard a door slam and a giant lock turn. She was dropped unceremoniously on the ground, no on the floor she realized, she was indoors now.

“What do you think you were doing Mark?! You almost died!”

“I couldn’t just leave her out there Shian, look at her, she’s barely a two.”

Lindsay sat up and looked around. The first thing she noticed was the floor. It was covered in a rough, course carpet that seemed much too harsh for a regular house. The second thing that caught her attention was the couple standing above her. The man was probably in his late thirties, a little short and stocky, but he still had the look of a conditioned athlete. His hair was jet black and cropped short. His eyes were black too and stood out against his pale skin. He had a sharp nose though it looked sort of crooked, almost as if he’d broken it and it hadn’t healed right. And yet his face was round and there were wrinkles that indicated he smiled a lot and Lindsay felt instantly drawn to him.

The woman was small and petite, maybe an inch or two shorter than the man and a few years younger. Her hair was relatively straight, and very blonde. It was probably dyed as it didn’t look quite natural and Lindsay could see her eyebrows were as black as the man’s hair. The lady had piercing blue eyes that looked almost cruel when paired with her harsh expression and sharp, prominent cheekbones. Her mouth hard and set, her stance defiant, this was not the sort of woman Lindsay ever wanted to cross.

“Well, what are you going to do with her?”

It was the woman speaking but her mouth hadn’t opened. Lindsay looked at her in confusion.

“I don’t know yet, but contacting her dome leader might be a good start.”

The man’s mouth hadn’t opened either but Lindsay still heard him clearly… almost too clearly, as if he’d been speaking straight into her thoughts… She decided it was time to join the conversation but when she opened her mouth nothing came out, as if her mind had forgotten how to speak. What was happening to her?! The lady looked down at her sharply and then back at the man with a fierce glare.

“She’s an outsider, isn’t she?! Of all the people to invite into our dome… Why, Mark?!”

There was an undercurrent of fear in her voice now and it flowed through Lindsay, overtaking her thoughts. Just before she bolted the man, Mark, spoke to her,

“Calm down, it’s alright, shush…”

And Lindsay felt the fear dissipate as suddenly as it had come. She opened her mouth but once again nothing came out.

“You have to use your thoughts,” threw the woman

“What do you mean thoughts?” thought Lindsay, and she instantly felt her thoughts flowing from her, radiating out into the unknown. It scared her, almost as if she was loosing a part of her identity when it happened.

“Oh, she’s a fast learner, lucky us,” there was hostility and sarcasm mixed into the blonde’s tone.

“What’s your name?” asked Mark.

“Lindsay… what’s going on?”

“Lindsay…” there seemed to be disappointment in his voice yet she had no idea why, how could you be disappointed by simply a name.

An idea seemed to come into the man’s head yet he wasn’t sharing it. The woman narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

“You do realize who she looks like, Shian…”
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:14 pm

O.O
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:59 pm

lol told you it was bad.
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:21 pm

It's interesting, but I do agree with you...it needs editing Smile

Have you read Tale of Despereaux? I started it today at SCHOOL in Science when I was done my test...finished to 200 pages at the end of school. Pretty impressive.
Now I just have 60 pages left.

Then I can watch the movie!
As far as mouse/rat movies/books go, this and Ratatouille are definitely at the top.
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:09 am

lol I saw a poster for it yesterday Razz it didn't look that interesting though...
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:19 am

Really? I thought it looked cute Smile
Linda
Linda