Book Worms Unite!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephenie Meyer did not do her homework.

3 posters

Go down

Stephenie Meyer did not do her homework. Empty Stephenie Meyer did not do her homework.

Post by Linda Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:29 am

Okay. Vampires.
I admit that I was completely hooked before I'd even finished the first page, but come on. Now that I look back, I realize this:
Stephenie Meyer did NOT do her homework.

Vampires are apparently not mythical, according to Meyer. They exist, they drink blood, they infect others with venom. Great. And also, they're drop-dead beautiful. But in Breaking Dawn, she made one mistake: she mentioned chromosome count.
This totally got me thinking. Because in the first three books, you're just wrapped up in this dream world, where you're not exactly sure if Edward is real or not...
And then.
Chromosomes.
If vampires have a chromosome count, that means they are real. All living things have a way of reproduction. And I don't mean the venom thing. That hardly counts. I mean the topic we're all uncomfortable speaking about...you know.
And the thing is that it has to happen within the species. Edward & Bella does NOT count. And yet it has been proven, that no matter how much Rosalie wants to live a 'normal' life, or Esme wants a child, they just aren't going to.

Second of all, what is with the hair? It took me a while to realize this. According to Bella, it is possible to run your hand through Edward's hair. And it is supposedly pretty normal hair; soft and all. Therefore this doesn't work with the whole time-stop thing. If the hair was normal, it would also be pluckable. If it was pluckable, and no hair grew back in its place, all vampires would be bald.

Thirdly, it is quite impossible for one species to mutate another species into its own just by injecting venom, right? Unless of course you believe in Spiderman and such. Imagine an ant turning into a butterfly. It just doesn't happen. (Although it might if you believe in evolution...but even evolution occurs over millions of years. With vampires we're talking...two, three days)
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Stephenie Meyer did not do her homework. Empty And what about 'Mountain Lions'?

Post by Jenster Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 am

No kidding. And one more thing: Mountain Lions.

First of all, what the heck is a mountain lion?! There are cougars, ocelots, pumas, and even certain types of panthers that all live in the Washington area but I have no clue what a 'mountain lion' is. As far as I know it's just a hillbilly term for any sort of Boreal Forest member of the cat family. Okay, now, let's say what Meyer really meant to say was cougar (they have higher populations than any other large cat in the states) Even then, there were only 120 cougars in Washington during 1990 and that number has most likely gone down. Even knocking off just 10 of these over the course of the year would have a large impact on the species, not to mention the ecosystem.

And now, let us go one step further and say that these sparkling granite shards only kill deer and elk. We can assume they each take 2 per outing (Edward nails down two the first time he takes Bella hunting) and I believe in Twilight it states that they hunt about once every two weeks. That's going to be 7 deer each week (Not including Bella, Renesme, and Jake) 28 deer each month, and 336 deer each year. Their populations just wouldn't be able to handle the stress. Let's face it. You just can't nail off animals like that and not experience the repurcussions.

Last edited by Jenster on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Stephenie Meyer did not do her homework. Empty Re: Stephenie Meyer did not do her homework.

Post by Linda Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:30 am

The first thing I'd like to say is that mountain lions do exist. They are
"also puma, mountain lion, or panther, depending on region"
according to Wikipedia - which I know is not the best source, but it has pretty good info. I'm pretty sure they're the same thing as cougars, so no, Meyer did not exactly make a mistake on this note.

Secondly (and most importantly, if I do say so myself) you spelled the words "repurcussions" and "experience" wrong Smile

I think you're right on the last part though. It doesn't exactly make sense, does it? But the deer killed by the vampires can't be too many compared to the ones that turn into pancakes on highways - if you get what I mean.
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Stephenie Meyer did not do her homework. Empty Mountain Lions

Post by Jenster Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:56 am

My apologies, spelling is not my forte (AS YOU WELL KNOW) I shall edit.

'Mountain Lion' is another name for a cougar in the same way 'shotgun' is another word for passenger seat and 'quicksilver' is another word for mercury (both of those are bad examples, I know, but bear with me) And so it is not really a proper name for the animal. Would you use the word 'shotgun' in a story and never the words 'passenger seat'?

And actually, not too many deer are killed by cars. (If it was really common why would it always make Yahoo news?) And they stay within the Olympic Peninsula so it'll be quite concentrated. And even if we forget the deer and elk there's still one major problem.

North American Grizzly Bears are a low risk ENDANGERED SPECIES. Now you can't argue with that one.
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Stephenie Meyer did not do her homework. Empty Re: Stephenie Meyer did not do her homework.

Post by Linda Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:36 am

But it's a well known other name for Cougar...unlike 'shotgun' for backseat.

Yeah yeah whatever...but still, you're supporting my main argument that she didn't do her hw. And I wasn't exactly arguing.
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:35 am

Shotgun means passanger seat, not backseat Very Happy
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:46 am

WHATEVER!!
That even proves my point further...

(and in my car, the backseats ARE the passenger seats)
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Shocked Passenger seat means the seat beside the driver... so to have a backseat passenger seat... that just doesn't work.
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:16 pm

Heh. I'll take your wormy word for it Razz
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:26 am

...wormy?...
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:46 am

That must have been filtered, whatever I said... XD
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:59 pm

lol you were picked up by your own filter?
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:02 am

Maybe.
But I probably meant what I said: wormy.
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:22 am

Oddball.
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hanabanana Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:14 pm

HAHAHAHHAHAA you guys are funny: first super long posts than super short posts....
hanabanana
hanabanana
Hyper Worm
Hyper Worm

Female Number of posts : 122
Location : over the hills and far away...the **teletubbies**have come to play!!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum