Book Worms Unite!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nanowrimo

2 posters

Go down

Nanowrimo Empty Nanowrimo

Post by Jenster Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:25 pm

www.nanowrimo.org/

This is coming a little late since November is over but whatever. Nanowrimo, (said Nah-Noh-Wry-Moh, NOT Nah-Noh-WREE-Moh) or National Novel Writing Month, is an event that happens each November. People all around the world gather together to try and write a 50, 000 word story in 30 days.

NaNoWriMo is all about the magical power of deadlines. Give someone a goal and a goal-minded community and miracles are bound to happen. Pies will be eaten at amazing rates. Alfalfa will be harvested like never before. And novels will be written in a month.

Part of the reason we organize NaNoWriMo is just to get a book written. We love the fringe benefits accrued to novelists. For one month out of the year, we can stew and storm, and make a huge mess of our apartments and drink lots of coffee at odd hours. And we can do all of these things loudly, in front of people. As satisfying as it is to reach deep within yourself and pull out an unexpectedly passable work of art, it is equally (if not more) satisfying to be able to dramatize the process at social gatherings.

But that artsy drama window is woefully short. The other reason we do NaNoWriMo is because the glow from making big, messy art, and watching others make big, messy art, lasts for a long, long time. The act of sustained creation does bizarre, wonderful things to you. It changes the way you read. And changes, a little bit, your sense of self. We like that.

It's also to help people get out of the 'Someday' rut. Everyone has a 'Someday' list. As in: Somday, I'll go to Rome. Someday, I'll go skydiving. Someday, I'll make a scrapbook with those pictures from my vacation... 5 years ago. And Someday, I'll write a book.

Nanowrimo forced people to get it off the 'Somday' list and actually onto paper.

Another thing is that it forced people to lower their expectations. As soon as you start viewing your writing in terms of word count rather than quality you actually manage to get it DOWN. Yes, 99% of it will be complete crap, but there's always that 1% that makes it worth writing.

There are really no 'prizes' (well, there is a downloadable certificate but...) and yes, if you want you can go ahead and copy and paste something from Wikipedia so you can get that certificate, but anyone who does that obviously needs more help than a downloadable document is able to offer them. You do it for the inner satisfaction it bring (along with the other things listed previously)

Sign up is free and there are forums to discuss everything you're going through during the writing process as well as for procrastinators to waste time when they should be writing.

I did it for the first time this year and found it extremely rewarding (if not challenging and definitely frusterating at times- as in the beating your head on the keyboard frusterating). It's an idea for anyone who thinks they might want to try for it next year.
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Nanowrimo Empty Re: Nanowrimo

Post by Linda Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:42 am

Well that's not too bad.
The first time I read it I thought it said 50,000 page story.
And I was like Surprised
XD
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:43 am

I'll definitely try it.
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:14 pm

Oh, I feel flattered, lol. I didn't think anyone else would really care, it was just one of those, 'FWI even though I don't expect you to care' things =P

Right now I'm trying to actually EDIT the monstrousity I've labeled a story as a result of Nano, I'm hoping to take out all the contradictions that make the story line impossible and the really big contradictions that make my characters seriously MPD...
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:44 am

Lol whatever.
Why don't we do a Decanuarimo?
Going through December & November.
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:18 pm

That sounds fun. Oh! And I just found out something wonderful!

For every person who won nano (as in, qualified on their website) by the deadline (Nov. 30) Amazon (or some branch off amazon) that has promised to actually publish your story for you. Well, it's more like a properly bound manuscript but still! I'm still looking into it, I don't want to relenquish the rights to my little manure pile so I'm not sure if I'll do it but it sounds great! I have to finish patching up the whole mess and send it in by June though or the offer's over... Which really isn't that long concidering how bad my novel is and how far I'm hoping to go with the editing...
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:55 am

Whoa!!
That looks so cool!
Do you think I could do it next year or is the offer ending as in ending ending?
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Nope, I'm pretty sure this is something that amazon does every year. Pretty sure. Sorry I didn't tell you about this sooner, but I didn't find out until the day it started anyways. I'll be sure to remind you come November next year Smile
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:12 pm

Razz Is it cheating to start the novel early?
Because I have this amazing idea :O
Linda
Linda
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenster Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:53 am

Definitely. You can draw up outlines but that's all. And they don't recommend that. Then you get attached to your characters and it's a LOT harder to write. It's good to get your idea less than a week before starting, that way it's fresh and it flows much quicker. Besides, 11 months from now you probably won't want to use an old idea.
Jenster
Jenster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down